Current Academic Appointment
- Clinical Associate Professor
- Department of Pharmacy Practice
- University of Rhode Island
- PharmD 2001, University of Rhode Island
- Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C)
- Self Care 1 (required) lecturer and coordinator
- Self Care 2 (elective) lecturer and coordinator
- Pulmonary Therapeutics (required; includes OTC smoking cessation)
- Community Pharmacy APPEs
- Integrating Virtual Patients into a Self-Care Course. Honorable Mention AACP Innovations in Teaching 2006
Research (Focused / integrated with OTC-Self Care):
Several publications related to self-care / OTC medicines in APhA Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs; An Interactive Approach to Self Care. 16th ed. &17th ed., JAPhA, AJPE, J Pharm Pract, NACDS Foundation, and RI Health & Med.
- Natural Products (book chapter)
- Probiotics in the community pharmacy: an evidence based review
- An evidence based update on vitamins.
- OTC Product: Salonpas Pain Relief Patch and Solonpas Arthritis Pain
- Community pharmacists’ opinions regarding emergency contraception: A survey in Rhode Island
- Integrating Virtual Patients into a Self-Care Course
- Nonprescription medication use by infants and children: product labeling vs. evidence-based medicine.
- Orr KK, Matson KL, Cowles BJ. Nonprescription medication use by infants and children: product labeling vs. evidence-based medicine. Journal of Pharmacy Practice (manuscript accepted)
- National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) Foundation Introduction to Chain Community Pharmacy Practice: A learning resource for pharmacy interns and their preceptors.
Continuing Education Monographs
- Natural Health for Stress. Drug Store News. August 2004:29-34. Universal Program Number: 401-000-04-015-H01 (0.2 CEUs).
- Antioxidants and cardiovascular disease. Drug Store News. October-December 2002:25-31. Universal Program Number: 401-000-02-034-H01 (0.2 CEUs).
- Orr KK, Opydo M. Availability and Accuracy of Information for Nonprescription Emergency Contraception in RI Pharmacies. Presented at the APhA National Meeting, Washington, DC., Apr. 2010
- MacDonnell CP, Orr KK, Cohen L. Active Learning of Self Care through Yahoo! Health. Presented at the APhA National Meeting, Washington, DC., Apr. 2010
- MacDonnell CP, Orr KK, Quilliam, BJ. Assessing core competency skills in a pharmacy practice lab: Focus on nonprescription drugs., Presented at the Nonprescription Medicines Academy Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio. Oct. 2006
- Orr KK. Integrating virtual patients into a self care course. Presented at AACP National Meeting. San Diego, CA., June 2006
- Kachur SG, Orr KK. Community pharmacists’ opinions regarding emergency contraception: A cross-sectional survey in Rhode Island. Presented at the American Pharmacists Association National Meeting in San Francisco, CA., Apr. 2006
- Orr KK. Direct to consumer advertising of over-the-counter medications and dietary supplements: pharmacy students perspectives. Presented at the Nonprescription Medicines Academy Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio., Sept. 2005
- Orr KK, Feret BM, Hume AL. Education of community track Pharm.D. students through interacting with “virtual patients”. Presented at AACP National Meeting, Minneapolis, MN., June 2003
- AL Hume, Orr KK. Natural Products in Health and Disease: Separating the Wheat from the Chaff. Presented at University of Rhode Island 25th Annual Seminar by the Sea. Newport, RI., Apr. 2010
- Policelli G.,Orr KK. The Role of the Pharmacist in Smoking Cessation. Presented at University of Rhode Island 25th Annual Seminar by the Sea. Newport, RI., Apr. 2010
- Orr KKClinician Assisted Smoking Cessation for Patients with Cardiovascular Disease. Presented at the RI DOH Cardiovascular Certification Course in Warwick, RI., Oct. 2009
- Orr KK, Bastianelli KA. Clinical Simulations to Advance Nonprescription Medicine Curricula: Virtual Patients. Self Care/Nonprescription Medicines SIG at AACP National Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Kachur SG, Orr KK. Community pharmacists’ opinions regarding emergency contraception: A cross-sectional survey in Rhode Island. Presented at the 48th Annual Herber W. Youngken Pharmacy Clinic. Warwick, RI., Nov. 2005
- Orr KK. Integrating virtual patients into a self care course. Presented at the APhA 4th Annual Self Care Institute. Boston, MA, June 2005
Professional Organization Involvement
- Rhode Island Pharmacists Association (RIPA), president 2007-2008, currently immediate past - president
- Rhode Island Board of Pharmacy, appointed 2008
- Self Care SIG, Chair
- AACP, member
- APhA, member
- Asthma Control Coalition, AE-C Workgroup (RI American Lung Association)
Areas of Expertise
- Asthma, smoking cessation, dietary supplements
Honors and Awards
- RIPA Presidential Leadership Award 2008
- Merck & Co., Inc President’s Award 2008
- RIPA Student’s Choice Award 2008
- NCPA Pharmacy Leadership Award 2007
- McKesson Incoming President’s Award 2007
- RIPA Young Distinguished Pharmacist 2004
- Ocean Pharmacy
- Various community sites (HTN Clinics)
Years Attending NMA