Current Academic Appointment
- Clinical Associate Professor
- Division of Department of Pharmacy Practice and Experiential Education
- UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Doctor of Pharmacy: Campbell University
- Bachelors of Science: Pharmacy
- BCACP, CDE, FAPhA
- Certificate training programs: APhA OTC Advisor: Pharmacy-Based Self-Care Services; Rx for Change: Clinician-Assisted Tobacco Cessation; APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery; APhA Medication Therapy Management Program
- Certificate Trainer: APhA Pharmacy-Based Immunization Delivery
- Self-Care and Nonprescription Medications (required course, coordinator since 2001)
- Applied Case Studies in Self-Care Therapeutics (elective course, coordinator 2011)
- Entrepreneurship and Community Pharmacy (elective course, coordinator 2004-2009)
- APhA Immunization Certificate Program (required course, coordinator 2005-2009)
- Problems in Pharmacotherapy (instructor since 2004)
- Professional Experience Program (instructor since 2001)
- Pharmaceutical Care Labs (instructor since 2001)
- Multidisciplinary Diabetes Elective Class (instructor 2007-2008)
- Co-Director, Residency Teaching Certificate Program (2009)
- PGY1 Community Pharmacy Residency Program (since 2005)
- Residency Teaching Certificate Program (since 2009)
- PGY2 Academia / Community Residency (since 2009)
- Transformed a large classroom self-care course into active learning
Research (focused / integrated with OTC-Self Care)
- Focus of research interests is clinical community pharmacy, self-care / nonprescription medicines, immunizations and medication therapy management
- Using Nonprescription Medications, Self-Care Products & Supplements in the Diabetes Patient, Annual Clinical Conference, American Diabetes Association, Orlando, FL, May 28, 2011
- Identifying and Preventing Problems in Self-Care, Pharmacy Practice Seminar, NCAP, Wilmington, NC, Aug 29, 2010
- Self-Care in a Changing Health Care Environment, Self-Care Institute, Washington, DC, Jun 20, 2010
- Self-Care and Nonprescription Therapy for Special Populations, APhA Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, Apr 4, 2009
- Nonprescription Medication: An Update and New Insights for Pharmacists, Arthur E. Schwarting Pharmacy Practice Symposium, Storrs, CT, May 24, 2007
- Implications of Clinical and Regulatory Changes Affecting Self-Care, Self-Care Institute, Baltimore, MD, Jun 24, 2006
- OTC Use in Special Populations: Focus on Pediatrics and Pregnancy, Ohio Pharmacists Association, Columbus, OH, Apr 23, 2006
- OTC Drug World – What’s New & What’s Scary? Community Care Practice Forum, NCAP, Chapel Hill, NC, Mar 6, 2006
- What’s New in OTCs? Pharmacy Practice Seminar, NCAP, Wilmington, NC, Sep 11, 2005
- Advance in Self-Care: OTC Update, Mountain Area Health Education Center, Asheville, NC, Apr 21, 2005
- OTC Updates, Southern Regional Area Health Education Center, Fayetteville, NC, Aug 14, 2003
- Ferreri S. Nausea and Vomiting. In: Krinsky DL, ed.Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs, 17th ed. 2012.
- Branham A, Moose J, Ferreri S. Retrospective Analysis of Medication Adherence and Cost Following Medication Therapy Management. INNOVATIONS in Pharmacy 2010;1(1):Article 12..
- Picardo C, Ferreri S. Pharmacist-administered Subcutaneous Depot Medroxyprogesterone Acetate: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Contraception 2010;82(2):160-67.
- Michaels N, Jenkins G, Pruss D, Heidrick J, Ferreri S. Retrospective Analysis of Community Pharmacists’ Recommendations in the North Carolina Medicaid Medication Therapy Management Program. JAPhA 2010;50(3):48-54.
- Branham A, Ferreri S. MTM Session: Targeting the Common Cold. Pharmacy Times 2009;75(11):54-59.
- Ferreri S. Barriers to Nonprescription Counseling: A Secret Shopper Learning Experience. The International Journal of Pharmacy Education and Practice 2008;4(1):1-4. Retrieved from http://www4.samford.edu/schools/pharmacy/ijpe/108/108.html.
- Ferreri S. Pain Meds for BG Control. Diabetes Self-Management 2008;69-70.
- Ferreri S. Sometimes learning has to Incubate. Pharmacy Today OTC Supplement 2008;1:1.
- Rush D, Futrell D, Jones M, McDowell J, Futrell B, Ferreri S. Evaluation of Calcium Supplementation in Bisphosphonate Therapy. JAPhA 2007;47(6):725-8.
- Ferreri S. Know your medicine, know your pharmacist. Pharmacy Today OTC Supplement 2007;13(4):1.
- Ferreri S. OTC Product: One-A-Day Cholesterol Plus with Policosanol. JAPhA 2006;46(2):e10.
- Weeks L, Scolaro K, Ferreri S, Marciniak M. Community Pharmacists’ Perception and Recommendation of Nonprescription Heat Therapy for Pain. Poster presentation at the APhA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. JAPhA 2010;50(2):223.
- Ferreri S, Pudlo A. Community Pharmacy Residency Expansion Project. National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation. Awarded $50,000 Jul 2011-Jun 2014.
- Jenkins A, Hemberg, N, Ferreri S, Marciniak, M. Determining Pneumococcal Vaccination Rates after a Pharmacist Conducted Medication Therapy Review (MTR). Community Pharmacy Foundation Grant. Awarded $2500 Jan-Jun 2011.
- Padgett L, Ferreri S. Implementation of a Personalized Medicine Pharmacogenomics Service in a Community Pharmacy. Community Pharmacy Foundation Grant. Awarded $49,180 May 2010-Dec 2011.
- Branham A, Moose J, Bowman J, Ferreri S, Marciniak M. An Analysis of Economic Outcomes Following Pharmacist‐Provided Medication Therapy Management Services. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2010.
- Ferreri S, Heidrick J, Fitch M. Evaluation of Community Pharmacists’ Medication Therapy Management Interventions for North Carolina Medicaid Patients. NACDS Foundation. Awarded $29,295 Jul 2007 - Jun 2008.
- Yoder K, Moose J, Ferreri S, Hoffman J. Clinical Outcomes of a Community Pharmacist-Led Diabetes Management Program to Improve Hemoglobin A1C in High Risk Patients with Diabetes. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2008.
- Pruss D, DeVizia R, Ferreri S. Evaluating Pharmacists’ Knowledge of Blood Glucose Meters and Medicare Requirements for Diabetes Supplies. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2007.
- Forrister D, Brown L, Jenkins G, Ferreri S. The Community Pharmacist’s Role in Providing Pneumococcal Vaccinations: Assessing Patient Awareness and Willingness. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2007.
- Ferreri S, Blalock S, Williams D, Foushee, L. Enhancing Pneumococcal Vaccination Rates through Community Pharmacist Involvement. Centers for Disease Control. Awarded $221,159 Sep 2005 - Sep 2008.
- Lehenbauer A, Ferreri S, Brown L, Jackson H. Implementing Medication Therapy Management in the Community Pharmacy Setting: A Survey of Pharmacists’ Viewpoints. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2006.
- Whitehead A, Heidrick J, Ferreri S. Evaluating Public Perception of Pharmacists Providing Clinical Services in a Community Pharmacy Setting. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2006.
- Rush D, Futrell D, Jones M, McDowell J, Futrell B, Ferreri S. Evaluation of Calcium Supplementation in Bisphosphonate Therapy. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2006.
- Blalock S, Ferreri S, Roth M, Casteel C. Preventing Falls Through Enhanced Pharmaceutical Care. University of North Carolina Injury Prevention Research Center. Awarded $141,592 Sep 2004 - Jun 2007.
- Downing J, Brown L, Ferreri S. Assessment of the consumer's self-care and over-the-counter medication knowledge with and without pharmacist intervention in a community pharmacy population. APhA Foundation Incentive Grant. Awarded $1,000 Jan - Dec 2004.
- Ferreri S. Pharmacy Practice Advancement Plan: The Kerr Drug Community Pharmacy Residency Program. Institute for the Advancement of Community Practice. Awarded $14,910 Jul 2003 - Jun 2004.
- Roth M, Ferreri S. Health and Wellness Trust Fund Commission Medication / Disease Management and Prescription Drug Access Grant. Awarded $227,338 Feb 2003 - Feb 2006.
- Ferreri S. Pharmacy Practice Advancement Plan: The Kerr Drug Community Pharmacy Residency Program. Institute for the Advancement of Community Practice. Awarded $19,880 Jul 2002 - Jun 2003.
Professional Organization Involvement
American Pharmacists Association
- Chair, APPM Clinical/Pharmacotherapeutic Section, 2009-2010
- Chair-elect, APPM Clinical/Pharmacotherapeutic Section, 2008-2009
- Member-at-Large, APPM Clinical/Pharmacotherapeutic Section, 2006-2008
- Steering Committee, Self-Care Institute, 2007-present
- Editorial Advisory Board, Pharmacy Today, 2004-2007
- Delegate, APPM representative, Annual Meeting, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Research Gap Analysis Task Force, 2006-2008
- Media Advisor, 2003-present
- Reviewer, Contributed Papers, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009
- Consultant, Pharmacy Today OTC Product Survey, 2007-2010
North Carolina Association of Pharmacists
- Board of Directors, 2007-2010
- Associate Editor, 2007-present
- Constipation Chapter Reviewer, 2004-present
North Carolina Association of Pharmacists Volunteer Positions
- Liaison for immunization ruling, 2005-2008
- Executive Committee, Ambulatory Care 2003
- Delegate representative, APhA Annual Meeting, 2002, 2004
- Member, Educational Council, 2002-present
- Member, Residency Committee, 2001-present
Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs: An Interactive Approach to Self-Care
- Associate Editor, 2007-present
- Constipation Chapter Reviewer, 2004-present
Areas of Expertise
- Clinical Community Pharmacy
- Nonprescription medications
- Medication Therapy Management
- Community Pharmacy Residencies
Honors and Awards
- Vanguard Leadership Award, 2010
- Community Pharmacy Faculty Award – first runner-up, 2009, NACDS Foundation
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Graduates, 2008, UConn Alumni Association
- Fellow, 2008, American Pharmacists Association
- Distinguished Young Pharmacist of the Year, 2007, North Carolina Association of Pharmacists
- Pharmacist of the Year, 2005, North Carolina Association of Pharmacists Community Care Practice Forum
- Distinguished Young Pharmacist of the Year, 2002, Lambda Kappa Sigma Pharmacy Fraternity
Kerr Health Care Center
- Perform medication therapy management reviews to eligible patients through platforms including ChecKmeds NC, Humana, CCRx and NC Medicaid and communicate recommendations and interventions to prescribers and patients
- Promote and administer influenza, pneumococcal, and herpes zoster vaccines
- Patient education through an ADA-Recognized Diabetes Education Program
- Provide point-of-care testing services including: blood glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure, and bone mineral density combined with patient counseling and education
Years Attending NMA
Since 2002 (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2011)